In order to be eligible to attend any school in the University of California (UC) or the California State University (CSU) systems as a freshman, you must take certain classes in high school. These classes are known as the "A-G Subjects:"
- History/Social Science - 2 years required: One year of U.S. History or ½ year of U.S. History and ½ year of civics or American Government. CSU requires one additional year of Social Science. UC requires one year of world history, cultures, and geography.
- English - 4 years required: Four years of college preparatory English
- Mathematics - 3 years required, 4 years recommended: Classes must include the topics of algebra, geometry, and intermediate algebra. Approved integrated math courses can also fulfill this requirement.
- Laboratory Science - 2 years required, 3 years recommended: CSU requires one biological and one physical. UC requires classes in at least two of the following areas: biology, chemistry, and physics.
- Language Other Than English (Foreign Language) - 2 years required, 3 years recommended: At least two years of the same language.
- Visual & Performing Arts - 1 year required: One yearlong course in dance, drama/theatre, music, or visual art.
- College Preparatory Electives - 1 year required: One additional year in any of the above A-F areas or other approved elective.